Roger Hiorns at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park
NOW 14 June 2013 - ongoing
In January 2010, two years after opening, Seizure closed its doors to the public. The block of late-modernist flats in London's Elephant & Castle was scheduled for demolition and so, by January 2011, just weeks before deconstruction of the estate would begin, Hiorns made the decision to preserve the cobalt-encrusted council flat.
By February of that year, following an extraordinary logistical extraction of the sculpture in its entirety, Seizure was aquired by the Arts Council Collection. Thanks to a gift by the artist, Artangel and the Jerwood Charitable Foundation through the Art Fund, and with the support of The Henry Moore Foundation, the piece was subsequently transported to Yorkshire Sculpture Park (subject to a ten-year loan agreement). Since June 2013, the sculpture has been installed at the park in a purpose-built, award-winning concrete structure, designed by Adam Khan Architects.
Seizure is open at weekends and daily during bank and school holidays (based on Wakefield term times which can be found on Wakefield Council's website).
Guidance for visiting Seizure:
- Only five people may view the art work at any one time; please follow instruction from YSP staff
- Regrettably, due to the nature of the art work, pushchair and wheelchair users have access to the threshold only
- Overshoes must be placed over existing footwear before entering the art work. Please return overshoes to YSP staff after use
- Large bags and rucksacks are not permitted within the art work. YSP accepts no responsibility for items left in the threshold area
- Take care when entering and leaving the art work: there is a step
- Walk slowly and carefully: the floor is uneven
- Mind your head: surfaces are sharp and crystals hang down from the ceiling
- Do not touch any of the surfaces: gloves are available to offer protection should you fall
- Do not climb or sit on any of the surfaces
- In the unlikely event of an emergency please follow the instructions from YSP staff